How The Health Care Bill Helps WomenWednesday, March 24th, 2010
Did you know that of the 4 million babies born each year here in the U.S.; over 2 million are born to mothers below the poverty line?
Here are some of the basics that the new bill offers for women:
- Insurance companies will no longer be able to charge higher premiums on the basis of gender.
- Preventive care for women such as pap smears, mammograms and immunizations, will be fully covered by private health plans and Medicare.
- Insurers are barred from discriminating against women for pre-existing conditions. Can you believe that some insurers have determined a cesarean section to be a “pre-existing condition”? Women who are the victims of domestic violence and rape have also been denied. Reprehensible and morally bankrupt doesn’t even come close to describing policies of this kind.
- All health plans will now be required to cover maternity and newborn care, as well as pediatric services that include dental and vision care.
- Medicaid will expand services to pregnant women and new mothers, offering more family planning services, home visiting programs and postpartum education and support.
- Working moms will also get a boost, as employers will be required to offer breaks and space for nursing mothers to pump breast milk. This is long overdue.
Watch President Obama’s speech describing the bill. It is not perfect but it is a start.